Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Someone Who Finishes

http://www.timothyhallinan.com/writers.php

If you read that page, well, you'll understand the dismay I felt when I first read it.  "A writer is someone who finishes."

It's a self-help website about how to finish that novel you've been working on.  Or in my case, several.  My stuff ranges from 30,000 words long (my Toni McGuire mystery; my fictional biography of sci-fi/fantasy nerd Timothy Goldwyn) down to 1,000-3,000 words long (a flashback, semi-nonfictitious story I'm writing; a story about a young British chap who travels around the US for a year), but I consider all of it to be, one day, eventually...finishable.  I'm not sure if that word's in the OED, but I just made it up under my poetic license.  I guess I do that often.

I haven't written more than a single paragraph for...weeks.  Unless you count e-mails and chat conversations and notes to oneself and lists for packing and the store.  Which I don't.  The other day is when I wrote my measly 2-sentence paragraph from my fictional biography.

Out of context, the paragraph means nothing to anyone.  And it was merely written because I felt I simply had to write a few lines after hearing Frank Sinatra's 'It Had to Be You.'  I felt like I had to write a whole movie just so there could be a scene wherein that song could be featured.

Which I'll be the first to admit is ridiculous.  But writers are allowed to be ridiculous.  Right?

I'm so not a writer.  It's pretty depressing how much I am not a writer.  If I were a writer, I'd be making more time to write.  If I were a writer, I'd be writing.

I suppose I'm writing this blog post.  That doesn't count either, though.

I've been incredibly busy.  I'm planning this Greek Fest party at my university.  It has the promise of being epic, if I can get everything in order efficiently.  I'm helping with new student orientation.  That's going to be an insane few days.  I need to talk to the other Swing officers, about our first meeting of the year.  Being president is going to be insane as well.  Of course.  Not to mention being student coordinator of telecommunications...

Life is too busy.  I didn't even say anything to the effect of my home life.  It's busy, too.  And I'm trying to finalize my living situation when I go back to school.  Thankfully I figured that out mostly on Monday.  Still, I really hate unknowns.  They freak me out more than anything.

I'm being boring, aren't I?  That's too bad.  I haven't posted in forever, so I was hoping to be interesting this time around.

I've been debating whether or not to post parts of my stories on here.  I always get afraid that some creep is going to happen upon my blog and proceed to steal what I've written.  And then I can never publish it.  The aim I would have in posting anything would be to get some general feedback.  Do I need to keep going the way I'm going?   Or do a complete re-write?  Recently I came to the horribly shocking realization that writing 'is' re-writing.  I hope I can do that.  We'll see.  Maybe?

I don't know what else to say.  I'm done with my summer job.  I hope I never have to work there ever again.  I can't take it, honestly...

In other news, finally got a credit card company to give me a card, despite my apparently low credit score.  I detest the fact that you have a credit score even before you start using an actual credit card.

Let's play out to Frank, shall we?  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ipJ2P8duaY

Christine out.

No comments:

Post a Comment